Blaž Slamič, 1st Secretary
T: +91 11 4166 2891
Bilateral relations between Slovenia and India
Slovenia and India share close and friendly relations. Opening of the Embassy of the Republic of Slovenia in New Delhi, India in August 2002 and opening of the Embassy of the Republic of India in Ljubljana, Slovenia in February 2007 importantly contributed to the deepening of relations. To further enhance bilateral relations Slovenia opened four Consulates headed by Honorary Consuls in 2011: Kolkata, Mumbai, Chennai and Bangalore.
The important milestone in bilateral relations represents the state visit of the Prime Minister of the Republic of Slovenia Borut Pahor to India in June 2011. The visit infused new dynamics into relations and encouraged closer economic contacts at government as well as at private sectors level.
Political dialogue between the two countries is being strengthened through the exchange of visits and regular political consultations between Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Slovenia and Ministry of External Affairs of India. The last (ad interim) consultations took place on 3 February 2014 in Ljubljana. The Slovenian side was headed by Director General at the Ministry Mr. Tadej Rupel, the Indian side was headed by Joint Secretary for Central Europe Mr. Rahul Chhabra. The next consultations should take place in New Delhi, India.
Establishment of the diplomatic relations: 18 May 1992
Recognition of Slovenia as independent state by India: 11 May 1992
Embassy and Consulates:
- Slovenia: Embassy of the Republic of Slovenia in New Delhi and Consulates of the Republic of Slovenia headed by Honorary Consuls in Kolkata, Mumbai, Chennai and Bangalore. The first Ambassador of the Republic of Slovenia to India was Mr. Janez Premože (September 2009 to September 2013). The current Ambassador Mr. Jožef Drofenik presented his credential to the President of India on 13 November 2015.
- India: Embassy of the Republic of India in Ljubljana. First Ambassador of the Republic of India to Slovenia with residence in Ljubljana was Dr. V.S. Seshadri (February 2007 – June 2010). Ambassador Sheshadri was followed by Ambassador Mr. Jayakar Jerome (July 2010 - July 2013). The current Ambassador Mr. Sarvarjit Chakravarti presented his credentials to the President of the Republic of Slovenia on 18 November 2013.
From Slovenia to India:
- 15 - 18 February 2004, New Delhi – Official visit of Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Slovenia Dr. Dimitrij Rupel. It represents the first ministerial visit from Slovenia to India after establishment of the diplomatic relations in May 1992.
- 17 – 18 February 2006, Bangalore: The President of the Republic of Slovenia, Dr. Janez Drnovšek attended the inauguration ceremony of International Conference on Human Values organised by the Art of Living Foundation.
- 29 – 30 January 2007, New Delhi: The President of the Republic of Slovenia, Dr. Janez Drnovšek attended Satyagraha Centenary Conference. He met with President of the Congress Party, Sonia Gandhi, Minister for External Affairs, Pranab Mukherjee and Prime Minister of India, Dr. Manmohan Singh.
- 24 - 26 November 2009, New Delhi: Visit of Parliamentarian Friendship Group from the National Assembly of the Republic of Slovenia to India. The delegation was headed by the President of Friendship Group Mr. Jože Jerovšek.
- 4 - 7 February 2010, New Delhi – President of the Republic of Slovenia Dr. Danilo Tϋrk participated at the 10th Delhi Sustainable Development Summit organised by TERI (The Energy Research Institute). During his visit President Dr. Türk also met with Prime Minister of India Dr. Manmohan Singh. Prof. Dr. Lučka Kajfež Bogataj, Head of the Centre for Agrometeorology at the Biotechnical Faculty of the University of Ljubljana was part of the official delegation accompanying the President.
- 13 – 16 June 2011, New Delhi, Mumbai, Bangalore – State visit of the Prime Minister of the Republic of Slovenia Mr. Borut Pahor to India. Prime Minister Pahor held delegation talks with Prime Minister of India Dr. Manomohan Singh. He also met President of India Mrs. Prathiba Patil, Vice President Mr. Hamid Ansari, Minister of External Affairs S.M. Krishna and Leader of the Opposition in Lok Sabha Mrs. Sushma Swaraj. PM Pahor was accompanied by ministers in his Government, namely Minister of Economy, Minister of Health and Minister of Transport; and by Business delegation. Apart from New Delhi the Prime Minister and his delegation also visited Mumbai and Bangalore.
- 27 – 30 January 2013, Agra, New Delhi, Kolkata – Minister for Economic Development and Technology of the Republic of Slovenia Mr. Radovan Žerjav participated at the CII (Confederation of Indian Industry) Partnership Summit in Agra. During his visit he met with Minister of Industry and Commerce of India Mr. Ananad Sharma, Minister for Heavy Industries and Public Enterprises of India Mr. Praful Patel, Minister of State for Micro, Small and Medium Size Enterprises of India Mr. K.K. Muniyappajem, and Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh Mr. Akilesh Yadav. Together with Business delegation, he also visited Kolkata.
- 11 - 13 November 2013, Guragon, New Delhi – Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Slovenia Mr. Karl Erjavec participated at the 11th ASEM Foreign Ministers Meeting in Gurgaon. Minister Erjavec had a bilateral meeting with Minister of External Affairs of India Mr. Salman Khurshid on the side lines of the meeting. The ministers signed the bilateral Visa Waiver Agreement for the holders of Diplomatic Passports.
- 24 - 28 November 2015, New Delhi/Ahmedabad - Official visit of the Speaker of the Parliament Mr Milan Brglez on the invitation by Sumitra Mahajan, Speaker of Lok Sabha. He also met President of India Mr. Pranab Mukherjee and Vice President Mr. Hamid Ansari. He visited also Ahmedabad, Gujarat.
From Slovenia to India:
- 31 March 2007: Minister of State at the Ministry of External Affairs of India Mr. Anand Sharma visited Slovenia at the occasion of the opening of Embassy of India in Ljubljana.
- 30 and 31 August 2009, Bled: Minister of State at the Ministry of External Affairs of India Mrs. Preneet Kaur participated at the Bled Strategic Forum. Minister Kaur was a panellist at the main leadership panel "New Global Governance for the 21st Century". She met with President of Slovenia dr. Danilo Tϋrk and Minister of Foreign Affairs Mr. Samuel Žbogar. On the side lines of the Forum.
- 29 - 30 August 2010, Bled: Minister of State at the Ministry of External Affairs of India Mrs. Preneet Kaur participated at the Bled Strategic Forum as a panellist at the leadership panel »Global Outlook for the Next Decade«. She met with President Dr. Danilo Tϋrk, Prime Minister Mr. Borut Pahor and Minister of Foreign Affairs Mr. Samuel Žbogar on the side lines of the Forum.
- 2 - 3 September 2012, Bled: Ambassador and Special Envoy of the Prime Minister of India for Afghanistan Mr. Satinder K. Lambah participated at the Bled Strategic Forum. He was a panellist at "Central Asia and Afghanistan after 2014".
- 26 to 30 May 2013, Ljubljana: Official visit of the Speaker of Lok Sabha Mrs. Meira Kumar to Slovenia. She met with her host President of the National Assembly Mr. Janko Veber, President Mr. Borut Pahor, and Prime Minister Mrs. Alenka Bratušek. She visited Bled, Postojna Caves and Goriška Brda, where she unveiled the statue of the first Prime Minister of India Mr. Jawaharlal Nehru.
- 1- 2 September 2013, Bled: Minister of State at the Ministry of External Affairs of India Mrs. Preneet Kaur participated at the Bled Strategic Forum in the leadership panel "A Changing Europe in a Changing World". She also had bilateral meetings with President of Slovenia Mr. Borut Pahor, Prime Minister Mrs Alenka Bratušek and Mr Minister of Foreign Affairs Karl Erjavec.
- 1 - 2 September 2014, Bled: Minister of State at the Ministry of External Affairs of India Mr. VK Singh participated at the Bled Strategic Forum in the opening leadership panel. He also had bilateral meetings with President of Slovenia Mr. Borut Pahor, Prime Minister Mr Miroslav Cerar and Minister of Foreign Affairs Mr Karl Erjavec.